Tongue Twister fundraiser promotes literacy

Imagine an imaginary menagerie manager imagining managing an imaginary menagerie.

If you can say that three times fast, you’ll probably do well in Team First Book’s Tongue Twister Tag 
fundraiser.

First Book is a national nonprofit dedicated to getting new books to children coming from low-income families.

The Bloomington branch of the organization, which provides books specifically to children in Monroe County, has thus far donated 23,000 books to more than 1,200 children.

This summer, the local First Book chapter is celebrating its fifth anniversary with the Tongue Twister Tag fundraiser.

To participate, people in Monroe County have to record a video of them saying their favorite tongue twister. If they laugh or make a mistake, they must donate to the cause.

They then post the video to social media and tag a few friends, challenging them to participate as well.

Like the popular Ice Bucket Challenge, if the friends don’t post their own video within 24 hours they also have to donate.

“We want everybody to know about this and the work we do,” said Akola Krishnan, the co-chair of Team First Book. “We felt that doing the challenge online would be the best way to reach all different kinds of people.”

Because it’s the organization’s fifth year in Bloomington, the money raised from this fundraiser will provide books for local low-income children ages five and under.

“It’s really important that children are exposed to reading as early as possible,” Krishnan said. “It’s been shown that childrens’ brains really develop fast during those early years. Even though they can’t read, it’s important for them to have positive associations with books.”

The “kindergarten gap” is another reason it’s critical to get books to children who are younger than school age.

Studies show children whose parents can’t afford books begin into kindergarten with an automatic disadvantage.

This immediate learning gap can keep them behind their more affluent peers all the way through college.

The goal of the fundraiser is to provide 3,200 books to children through the organization’s partner, Southern Indiana Pediatrics.

It costs them $2.50 to buy the average book, so they will need about $8,000.

The fundraiser began July 28 and will continue through Aug. 28.

Krishan said multiple IU fraternities and sororities have already pledged to 
participate.

“If you laugh, you should donate. If you don’t accept a challenge, you should donate,” she said. “Or you could just donate anyways. It’s a really great cause and you don’t have to dump any ice on your head.”