Report: James Blackmon Jr. has surgery on knee, will be out until September

Freshman guard James Blackmon Jr. shoots during the game against Michigan on Sunday at Assembly Hall.

From IDS reports

Rising sophomore guard James Blackmon Jr. had surgery last week to repair torn meniscus cartilage in his left knee, according to a report from Sports Illustrated’s Pete Thamel. Blackmon Jr. will be sidelined until September.

IU Coach Tom Crean confirmed the news to Sports Illustrated, according to the report. Crean said there’s no ligament damage, and Blackmon Jr. was given a six-to-eight week timetable to return. He “projects to be at full strength by mid-September at the latest,” according to Thamel.

“It was a tough setback for James and all of us, but in the scheme of things relatively minor in the way that it has all been handled,” Crean told Sports Illustrated. “He had a great spring and was in the midst of having an even better summer.”

As a freshman, Blackmon Jr. averaged 15.7 points and 5.3 rebounds per game. He played in all but one of IU’s games last season, sitting out the Hoosiers’ road contest against Wisconsin after injuring his ankle against Rutgers.

“His strength has gone up significantly since the season ended,” Crean said. “When he’s not getting on the court, he’s making up for it (with upper body work) in the weight room.”

The IDS reached out to a team spokesperson who said the program has no further comment.