Local performers and acts come together for Chaos Fest

Colin Jenkins makes buttons at the Affordable Art Fair in Rhino's Youth Center on Sunday.  "We just got a button maker so we've been going crazy with them," he said.  The fair featured handmade art and drawings, and was held in conjunction with Chaos Fest.

Local performers and cross-country touring acts shared stages this weekend for the second Chaos Fest. Unlike many music festivals organized by a single person or entity, the festival was distinct in enabling anyone who wanted to host a show to do so. Shows were held in multiple houses across town, the Upper Cascades Park and Rhino’s All Ages Music Club. An affordable art fair was also held Sunday at Rhino’s.

“All events + shows are independent of each other” read the description from a guide available at Chaos Fest shows. The open involvement in hosting Chaos Fest was an example of the practice known in music as the do-it-yourself, or DIY, ethic.

Chaos fest was “trying to organize something fun where anyone can get involved,” musician Chris Clavin said.

Friday’s shows included one at the Upper Cascades Skate Park and a Punx-N-Pies potluck where donations were given to Positive Link, which IU Health called the premier provider of prevention and social services for those affected by HIV in south-central Indiana.

The Mix-Tape Trade Show took place Saturday afternoon with performances from Alyssa Kai and Dribble. Instead of paying an entry fee to the show, guests had the option to bring a mixed CD featuring various artists. At the end of the show, they could take home a different CD someone else brought.

The Saturday night show at Rhino’s featured four different performances to celebrate the birthday of Plan-It-X Records co-founder Samantha Jane Dorsett.

Turtle Lamone, from Scotland, opened the show. Beginning with Raphael Lehmann playing a synthesizer with vocal accompaniment, he was joined by other musicians on guitar, bass and drums. Another lineup change brought Lehmann playing guitar with a different bassist and drummer. This was Turtle Lamone’s second show outside the United Kingdom. Lehmann met Plan-It-X co-founder Chris Clavin when Clavin was touring Scotland and they began to collaborate. In June, Clavins’ band, Ghost Mice, set out for a West Coast tour, during which Lehmann assisted on bass.

“Looking out for others is what DIY punk is all about,” Lehmann said.

Six-member Human Behavior from Tucson, Arizona, played next, featuring a banjo and viola. Human Behavior is touring the country with upcoming stops in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and multiple dates in Texas. They released a new album, “Bethphage,” in February of this year. Chaos Fest was their second time playing in Bloomington. They played at local restaurant the Owlery last fall.

“People (in Bloomington) have so much energy,” guitarist/vocalist Andy Parada said.

Your Heart Breaks followed Human Behavior, and they played songs from their new album, “America,” and selections from older releases.

Member Clyde Petersen lived in Bloomington in 2006 and Your Heart Breaks released “New Ocean Waves” on Plan-It-X records that year. Petersen now resides in Seattle.

Intermission featured a gross food eating contest, and Ghost Mice performed after the break.

After Ghost Mice’s performance, many in the audience walked from West Second Street to the Kroger castle, which was named for its perch on a hilly block within sight of the neon blue Kroger sign.

In the basement of the Kroger castle, North Carolina band Nutter played to enthusiastic fans. Before the set of their touring partners, Nostradogmus, the bands joined forces to play a song as Nutterdogmus.

For more information about all the artists at Chaos Fest this year, go to bloomingtonchaosfest.tumblr.com.

Chaos Fest performers Ghost Mice, Mitch the Champ and Cottontail are featured on the “It Came From Plan-It-X 2014” compilation available through Plan-It-X records.