2016 guard prospect Jones plans to visit IU in August

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — IU target Curtis Jones told reporters Wednesday night he will take an official visit to Bloomington on Aug. 28-29.

The Huntington Prep (West Virginia) combo guard also has official visits planned for Georgetown and Oklahoma State.

After this weekend — the third and final July evaluation period — Jones, a class of 2016 prospect, said he’ll figure out where he’ll take his final two official visits.

The four-star prospect said the Hoosiers’ style of play, as well as his relationships with IU Coach Tom Crean and sophomore guard Robert Johnson, attract him to IU.

“I really like Coach Tom Crean,” Jones said. “And Rob, he’s told me about the program and how he (Crean) lets the guards play and how much he makes you better and things like that.”

The 6-foot-3 guard said it helps having a personal connection to a program other than the team’s coaches.

Like Jones, Johnson played for Boo Williams on the AAU circuit in high school.

“It helps a lot because you have the recruiters, but they tell you what you want to hear and you have people like that that are going to tell you the truth,” 
Jones said.

IU Associate Head Coach Tim Buckley watched Jones, as well as fellow Boo Williams guard and IU target Matt Coleman, Wednesday night at the AAU National Championship and Super Showcase, where Boo Williams won its opening game 69-63 in overtime.

The top-70 recruit said he’d like to make his decision in the fall. It could potentially be in September or October.

When asked if he plans on signing a letter of intent in November, Jones said he doesn’t know yet, but he hopes to make his decision by then.

“I’ll hopefully know where I’m going then,” 
he said .