IU adds two commits on defense

Coach Kevin Wilson and the IU football team run out onto the field prior to the homecoming game against Michigan State on Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

The recruiting cycle is beginning to heat up for IU football, as the program landed its fourth and fifth commitments for 2016 this weekend.

First came the Saturday announcement from Khalil Bryant, a safety from Jacksonville, Florida. The next came Sunday, when Georgia defensive end Allen Cater committed during his visit.

Bryant attended the IU football camp Friday and then announced his commitment via Twitter.

“Excited to announce that I have committed to Indiana University,” Bryant tweeted.

247sportshas Bryant ranked as a 3-star prospect and the No. 77 rated safety in the nation.

Cater tweeted his commitment in a phone memo.

“I want to thank God for everything he has done for me,” Cater said. “I also want to thank my family, extended family, coaches and everyone who has helped me in this process!”

Then he began writing about why he chose IU.

“Its family based and feels like home! IU coaches kept it real and the team holds everyone accountable! Glad to be a HOOSIERS!”

Bryant’s and Cater’s commitments comes make four commitments for IU in the past 12 days, joining Alabama running back Tyus Flakes and Cincinnati lineman Ryan Smith. The other member of the current 2016 recruiting class is Cincinnati quarterback Peyton Ramsey.

None of IU’s five commits are from Indiana.

Brody Miller