Indiana cities seeing strong population growth

From IDS reports

Research released by the Indiana Business Research Center at the Kelley School of Business indicated that Indiana’s largest cities continue to see population growth, according to an IU press release.

The Center analyzed estimates released by the U.S. Census Bureau.

Three of the state’s largest cities — Indianapolis, Fort Wayne and South Bend — saw population growth in 2014, while suburban communities in central Indiana continued to grow rapidly.

Indianapolis had the state’s largest numeric population gain, with more than 5,400 new residents last year. The number was lower than the population gain observed in 2013, which saw almost 9,000 residents added, but is above the average annual increase of about 3,800 per year.

During the last four years, Indianapolis’ population has grown by an average of more than 6,800 residents per year.

Although this rate of growth is strong, Jacksonville, Fla., and San Francisco passed Indianapolis last year on the list of the country’s largest cities. It now sits at No. 14 on the list with 858,325 residents.

Indiana’s second-largest city, Fort Wayne, added another 1,658 residents in 2014 after experiencing flat growth from 2000 and 2010.

Evansville and South Bend, the only other Indiana cities with populations above 100,000, saw slight declines and increases, ?respectively.

Evansville had a slight population decline in the last year, losing 30 residents. The city’s population grew by an average of 100 residents per year from 2010 to 2013.

South Bend’s population grew by 268 in 2014, which represents its largest single-year growth in more than two decades. Its population declined by about 700 residents per year last decade.

The rest of Indiana’s 10 largest cities or towns are Carmel, Fishers, Bloomington, Hammond, Gary and Lafayette. Carmel, Fishers and Bloomington added residents, while Hammond, Gary and Lafayette saw declines in population.

Most of the state’s suburban areas are still growing as well, as 13 of Indiana’s 20 largest cities and towns posted population increases last year.