sports softball

IU prepares to play Ball State, Purdue in the next two days

IU will travel to Muncie on Tuesday to play Ball State in a midweek game before heading back home to host Purdue for a ?doubleheader.

The Hoosiers are coming off a tough weekend in which they were swept by their Big Ten foe, No. 4 Michigan.

The Hoosiers held the second-leading team in the nation in home runs to under seven runs twice last weekend, a feat which proves they are capable of competing against some of the best teams, not only in the Big Ten but in the ?nation.

Senior Lora Olson has been effective on the mound, where she picked up her sixth complete game in a 3-0 loss to ?Michigan.

Freshman Rebecca Blitz got her fist look at the No. 4 Michigan team, but it didn’t seem to stop her impressive inaugural season.

She picked up three hits Saturday, making it the fifth time this year she has recorded at least three hits in a game.

The Hoosiers will look to take the momentum and confidence they had in Ann Arbor, Mich., in hope of getting a few wins this week.

As of now, the Hoosiers are 12th in the Big Ten, the last spot to get into the Big Ten Tournament. IU trails 11th place Penn State by one game and has a one-game advantage on Wisconsin for the last ?remaining spot.

The all-time series between IU and Ball State is 42-33 in favor of the ?Hoosiers.

The last meeting resulted in a 3-2 victory for the Hoosiers in 2014.

Between Purdue and IU, the all-time series stands at 36-29 in favor of the Boilermakers, the last meeting resulting in a 4-2 Purdue win.

Purdue stands in the 10th spot in the Big Ten standings, one and a half games ahead of the ?Hoosiers.

With a lot riding on the Hoosiers to keep their postseason hopes alive, the final stretch begins Tuesday at Ball State.

First pitch between the Cardinals and the Hoosiers is scheduled at 4 p.m.