?IU Art Museum names new director

It was announced Tuesday that David A. Brenneman, director of collections and exhibitions at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, has been named the next director of the IU Art Museum, according to an IU press release.

Brenneman will begin his work as director July 1 and brings with him more than 20 years of experience in the art museum field.

He received his doctorate in art history from Brown University and graduated from the Getty Museum Leadership Institute in 2004, according to the release.

“David Brenneman possesses an exceptional amount of experience and expertise in the art museum field, and he has spearheaded the development of several innovative projects and exhibitions that have proven special in their ability to appeal to longtime arts patrons, while also attracting new audiences to the museum,” IU President Michael McRobbie said in the release.

Within its walls, the IU Art Museum contains a variety of internationally acclaimed collections, according to the release, including ancient gold jewelry, African masks and paintings by Claude Monet, Jackson Pollock and Pablo Picasso.

“We are also extremely grateful to Heidi Gealt for her many years of outstanding service as director of the IU Art Museum and her efforts to position the museum at the forefront of the best university art museums in the nation,” McRobbie said in the ?release.

Brenneman is slated to “lead efforts to reflect ethnic and gender diversity in all aspects of collections, exhibitions and daily operations; create more interactive cultural experiences; and engage with museums, collections and curators throughout the world to cultivate relationships that lead to meaningful and important exhibition projects,” according to the release.

“Museums need to be a part of their community, and reflect and lead the diversity and ideals of the community they serve,” Brenneman said in the release.

In his first weeks on campus, Brenneman said, he will meet as many people affiliated with the museum as possible.

“I’m really looking forward to listening and learning,” he said in the release. “When I came to campus, I met a lot of people who deeply impressed me as caring very much about the museum, and it’s going to be important to enhance those connections and maintain an ongoing dialogue.”