Faculty member contributes pieces to “Trashion Refashion” show

Deborah Christiansen participates as designer, Steering Team member

Professor Jane Matranga wears one of her designs created for The 6th Annual Trashion Refashion Runway Show.  The show will be held at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater on Sunday.

For the past six years, the weekend after Earth Day has been the preferred date of the “Trashion Refashion Runway Show.”

Students, faculty and members of the community used the platform to present work made from either recycled materials usually thrown out as garbage or repurposed old clothing, bringing it into the new era.

Deborah Christiansen, Ph.D. and senior lecturer in the Department of Apparel Merchandising and Interior Design, has been involved with the show since its inception. This year will mark the third time Christiansen displays original work in ?the show.

“I used to try and get students involved as much as possible,” Christiansen said. “That wasn’t going to happen this year.”

Though none of her students are involved this time around, Christiansen said her colleagues Jane Matranga and Kelly Richardson will also show work this year.

Christiansen calls her pieces “Viking Vests;” one is hooded and one isn’t. The materials she used included a deck umbrella and some repurposed banners advertising the department’s Sage Collection, a collection of materials such as accessories and documents tied to the social history of the department.

“They use these exhibit banners and, if these exhibits don’t travel, you have these big, beautiful banners left over, so I created these jacket or vest patterns,” Christiansen said.

The show is divided into two parts: the “trashion” pieces ­— clothing and costumes that use material otherwise destined for landfill — and “refashioned” pieces made from old clothing either owned or bought by the designer.

Though she has experimented with the refashion side in the past, she said her larger goal this year was showing that trashion could be attainable and could outlast a one-night appearance.

“I feel like, with our trashion side, we have people who use interesting recycled materials, but they really just become a piece that, to me, is still going to go in the trash,” Christiansen said. “I wanted something that was rewearable, reusable.”

The idea arose, Christiansen said, when she thought about her friend who is a cyclist riding in the damp spring weather. The vests include small areas made from the plasticized banner fabric, which is a little stiff for a full garment.

The areas using the fabric, however, are sufficiently waterproofed to fulfill their utilitarian purpose.

“They’re supposed to be weather-resistant and then decorative and interesting and fun,” Christiansen said.

The garments have not yet been tested in realistic ?conditions, but for good ?reason.

“We haven’t worn them for cycling yet because they’re just going to be in the show this weekend,” she said.

In the past, Christiansen said she dabbled in both the trashion and refashion aspects of the show. Once, she refashioned an old skirt into a little black halter dress.

She also designed something she deemed as more wearable art, a garment made from a recycled tennis net.

“That’s a piece that would probably be more, I don’t know, superhero costume,” Christiansen said.

The creation of that piece is another reason she decided to go a more utilitarian route with the vests.

The idea of trashion refashion, Christiansen said, has gained positive attention nationwide since its establishment a few years back.

“Shows like this are happening all over the country right now and, in fact, we try to feature as many as we can on our website,” ?Christiansen said.

In terms of the refashioning side, Christiansen said there is no reason to completely discard undesired clothing when so much can be done to bring it back to life.

“It’s important to bring awareness to the fact that we get rid of a lot of clothing when it’s out of style, but there are so many things that can be done to remake, reuse and rewear,” Christiansen said.