Coffee may not be the only hot thing this month

More than 20 local coffee shops will be distributing cardboard coffee sleeves bearing the message, “Consent is Hot! Got Consent? Ask,” according to a press release.

Campus and community partners have geared up to get the message out during Sexual Assault Awareness Month in April. The social marketing campaign is co-sponsored by the Monroe County Prosecutor’s Office, the IU Dean of Students Office, IU Sexual Assault Crisis Service, the Monroe County Sexual Assault Response Team, IU Culture of Care and It’s On Us — IU, according to the release.

Campus coffee shops at both IU and Ivy Tech and coffee sellers throughout the community will help to spread the word.

“We are thrilled to be part of this effort,” said Robert Himmel, owner of City Bakery on East Third Street, in the release. “I hope it starts some early morning discussions about what consent means.”

The prosecutor’s office will also conduct live presentations titled “Blame It On The Alcohol? The Truths, Myths, and Laws of Sexual Assault.” The presentations will take place at various locations around campus, according to the release.

“This is a creative way to get the message out about an important issue in a college town,” Monroe County Prosecutor Chris Gaal said in the release. “We received an enthusiastic response from local businesses eager to ?participate.”