Neal-Marshall Director steps down

IU announced Tuesday the director of the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center will step down to focus on her faculty duties.

Stephanie Power-Carter will remain in her position until July 31 to maintain a smooth transition for the next director.

“I love Indiana University and am deeply honored to have had the opportunity to lead the center for four years, but feel the time is right for me to step down so that I can focus all of my energies on research and teaching,” Power-Carter said in the press release. “I am very proud of what my colleagues and I have accomplished together. I will remain connected to all the wonderful people who I have been involved with and supported over the years.”

Power-Carter served as director for four years. During her time as director, she established a student computer lab and collaborative center. She also oversaw the beginning of the Freshman Pinning Ceremony and First Friday Wisdom Circles, where alumni and students share experiences with one another.

“Stephanie’s vision, tremendous leadership skills and commitment to academic excellence and community are to be honored and will be greatly missed,” said James Wimbush, IU vice president for diversity, equity and multicultural affairs, in the press release.

Power-Carter also founded the African American Read-In, a campus-wide program that celebrates African American writers, and Sistahs Who Care, which is a mentoring group for young black women.

A national search will be conducted to find the next director of Neal-Marshall. The search and screen committee will be lead by Valerie Grim, professor and chair of African American and African Diaspora Studies, according to the press release. Other members include faculty and University officers from different departments including admissions, alumni relations, Graduate Mentorship Center and others.

The committee will also include IU students Katrina Overby and Julian Batts.