McRobbie voices concern about RFRA

IU president Michael A. McRobbie released a statement Sunday voicing concern about the Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

McRobbie said in the statement the Act, which was signed into law Thursday, has brought negative attention to the state of Indiana. He said the law can be viewed as discriminatory and creates a negative atmosphere in the state.

“For its part, Indiana University remains steadfast in our longstanding commitment to value and respects the benefits of a diverse society,” McRobbie said in the statement. “It is a fundamental core value of our culture at Indiana University and one that we cherish.”

McRobbie stated that IU plans to continue to hire, educate and provide services to people regardless of their race, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, nationality, gender, gender identity or religion. IU will also not allow discrimination based on any of these factors, he said in the statement.

He emphasized the core values of IU and that the University expects students, faculty and visitors to be treated by those core values.

“I want to reassure the entire Indiana University community, including our students, faculty, staff and alumni, that each and every one of you is welcome and appreciated for the unique qualities that you bring to our community,” he said in the release. “We are all better as a result of our shared experiences, as different as those experiences in life may have been.”