Grunwald invites students to sensory experience

Benjamin Timpson, MFA student in the School of Fine Arts, sets up his "Act Natural" thesis exibition project in the Grunwald Gallery on Tuesday afternoon. The MFA Thesis Exibition will be held from March 25 to April 4 in the Grunwald Gallery.

Patrons of the Grunwald Gallery of Art have the opportunity to enliven every sense during the first round of Master of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Fine Arts thesis exhibits.

The show engages not only the literal senses, but also the sense of space and how it plays through the nine artists’ respective works.

The official opening will take place today at Grunwald with artist talks starting at noon and a reception at 6 p.m.

Erik Probst, social media coordinator for Grunwald, said he looks forward to seeing the thesis exhibits in particular because they demonstrate the unity of an artist’s body of work.

“What I look forward to for the thesis, after the fact, is that it’s a cohesive body of work,” Probst said. “There’s always something to refrain from and kind of get pulled into.”

This MFA show, Probst said, is one of the stronger collections he has seen. The shows, though different in artist, inspiration and medium, are almost interwoven in a way, he said.

“At least for the two-dimensional stuff, especially Benjamin Timpson and Tyler Wilkinson, and Jody (Mitchell) as well,” Probst said. “Those three are very interesting to see in the lights of togetherness and they just kind of balance each other out for some reason.”

Wilkinson, who Probst said he considers a friend, has gone through a transformative period in his art during his time at IU, demonstrated by this collection of paintings.

Initially, his work was “narrative-based” and focused on aesthetic pleasure, but Probst said it now exists more in line with the artist’s perspective.

“It’s about a bigger idea that I think a lot of people are on board with right now,” Probst said. “I think that’s powerful and it’s poetic.”

Sight is not the only sense at play in this show. The work of BFA student Rubia Hagans is sculptural and ?scent-focused.

Senior Audrey Oliger said Hagans’ pieces were among the many that made her think about artistic sensibility in a novel way.

“They use a lot of medium that I wouldn’t really think to use or different types of sensation that I wouldn’t think to use,” Oliger said. Pointing to part of Hagans’ exhibit, she said her use of aromatic flowers was an interesting way to draw people into the art.

Probst agreed Hagans’ work took the gallery experience to a level he had never seen before.

“It’s always been ?sensational and optical and perceptual, it’s never been about using your nose,” Probst said. “I mean, you can even close your eyes and enjoy that nice, fruitful smell.”

The sculpted flowers themselves invite all types of examination because of the realistic qualities in such an artificial shell, Probst said.

“It’s interesting she’s created this sort of synthetic body of work and then they have this kind of organic aroma to them,” Probst said.

Patrons also have ample opportunities to touch and play during this round of thesis projects. Liz Scofield’s exhibit focuses on figurines made in her likeness. Abigail Liechty’s section includes the option to pick up and pose with the works.

Shan Yu’s MFA exhibit is a 3-D video game experience patrons can play during their visit to the gallery.

“I’m really intrigued by especially the game,” Oliger said. “It’s just a really, really immersive form of art that’s inspiring to me.”

Probst said he believes the collections, specifically those of Wilkinson and Mitchell, also work well together in highlighting some of the larger issues at play in the world today.

“It’s white and then gray and black, what a coincidence,” Probst said. “Then there’s the social issues that are going on right now with ethnicity. That’s kind of interesting how that’s set up.”