weekend

Shows about minorities pull in big audiences

‘Fresh off the Boat’

B+

ABC has figured something out you would think would have been easy to put together.

As of 2013, 28 percent of the United States population is not white, yet the overwhelming majority of TV programs are created by white people, star white people and cater to white audiences.

ABC has been catching on to this trend throughout the past few years, and the movement has been all but cemented with its new spring comedy, “Fresh Off the Boat.”

For some quick background, “Fresh Off the Boat” is a traditional family sitcom with the basic fundamentals: two parents, three kids and a quirky grandmother all under one roof. The difference here is the family is made up of Taiwanese immigrants.

First off, the show is fantastic. It is the first American network comedy starring an Asian-American protagonist since Margaret Cho’s “All American Girl” in 1994.

Randall Park, who played Kim Jong-Un in “The Interview,” plays the affable patriarch, and the story is told by his son, Eddie. The show does not break any new ground, it is just a truly well-done sitcom. The results are where you see the movement.

The premiere was watched by 7.94 million viewers, the second most of any spring comedy. Combine this with the facts that ABC’s “Black-ish” was the most-watched comedy premiere in fall with 10.8 million viewers and “How to Get Away With Murder” built on the viewing of “Scandal” with 14 million people watching, 20 including DVR, and the trend is clear.

People watch shows about minorities. When the shows are actually good, those viewings will skyrocket. ABC has essentially handed its network to Shonda Rhimes, who has been the showrunner of “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Scandal” and “How to Get Away with Murder.” The latter two shows star African American protagonists, and the former has a mixed ensemble cast.

It isn’t about forcing minorities into television. Lena Dunham had a good point about not having any black cast members in “Girls.” The show is a reflection of her life and her friend group and she simply did not have many African Americans in her friend group.

ABC has been handing the reigns to showrunners that are minorities — not because they are minorities, but because they are talented and have stories to tell. Larry Wilmore, an African American who now has his own show on Comedy Central, was the original head writer of “Black-ish,” and “Fresh Off the Boat” is based on food personality Eddie Huang’s memoir.

While we are talking about change in television, I appreciate that the strongest comedic voice on the show is the mother, played by Constance Wu.

Too often in family sitcoms, the mother is the nag or the one who sets up the jokes for the funny men. Wu is absurdly wonderful in her role as Jessica Huang. When she sings Whitney Houston’s “I Will Always Love You” at a barbecue, I was sold for good.

The point is networks are beginning to learn that shows made by and starring minorities have the ability to bring large audiences. And it is not just minorities watching these programs, as can be seen by the ratings. I am a 20-year-old white male, and my favorite character of 2015 is a Taiwanese American housewife.

Props to ABC for opening its eyes.