?ILS named most prolific school by ScienceWatch

IU received the top ranking in ScienceWatch’s list of most prolific United States institutions in Information Science and Library Science for the years 2009-13.

The ranking is made up of both colleges and universities that contributed the highest numbers of papers to the Web of Science Field of Information Science and Library Science, according to a School of Informatics and Computing press release.

ScienceWatch is an “open Web resource for science metrics and research performance analysis,” according to ScienceWatch’s website. It began in 1989.

The list IU tops is based on the percentage of the 16,205 papers each university published in Thomson Reuters-indexed Information Science journal from 2009 to 2013, according to the release.

“We are proud to be a part of the Indiana University community, where research in our field is so valued,” said Dr. Pnina Fichman, chairperson of the Department of Information and Library Science, in the release. “My colleagues both within our department and school, and throughout the campus, who publish in this discipline help provide an environment that leads to creative research and teaching. The ranking and the effort by the scholars at Indiana University are not an anomaly. This is a good place to be.”

This is not the first time IU’s ILS department has been honored as a productive school. Studies from 2000 and 2006 that covered more than two decades of data also ranked IU first in the country in looking at scholarly productivity, according to the ?release.

According to a ranking by U.S. News and World Report, ILS is ranked eighth in the ?nation.