Acclaimed designers give back by founding charities, donating

FASH NYFASH-LASTDAY 1 PG

Lauren, de la Renta, von Furstenberg.

What do all of these names have in common? Other than the fact that they are world-renowned fashion designers and some of the top in their craft, there is one thing even more wonderful that unites them together: giving back.

In the spirit of the giving season, instead of displaying the winter or holiday trends, I thought I would showcase the philanthropic fashion designers who not only lead the industry but also advocate for making the world a better place. While many view the fashion industry as materialistic and self-centered, these individuals are using their talent and success to make a difference in the community.

Oscar de la Renta

As I wrote in my “Ode to Oscar” a few weeks ago, I mentioned that not only was this legend known for his glorious gowns and one-of-a-kind designs but also for the outstanding character that he displayed.

He served as a fellow director of New Yorkers for Children, an organization that seeks to help young people in foster care prepare for a better future, including the education and funding necessary to get there.

Ralph Lauren

Due to a large gift from Ralph Lauren, The Ralph Lauren Center for Cancer Care and Prevention was made a reality. In partnership with the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, this ?community-centered organization focuses on new models of patient care, research, education and outreach to those who are affected by cancer.

He has also initiated the Pink Pony Campaign, a worldwide effort that donates 25 percent of any Pink Pony product purchased to Lauren’s fight against cancer.

Diane von Furstenberg

The designer, known for changing the world of fashion with her 1970s wrap dress, has served as a strong supporter for Vital Voices.

The global partnership, founded by then-first lady Hillary Rodham Clinton, works to inspire women to take charge in their leadership ability, give influential women across the world exposure and train women to bring back strong qualities and a voice to the women and girls of their own ?community.

And these are just a few of the designers out there making a difference. While some soak in the limelight selfishly and solely for their personal gain, several celebrities use their exposure to better the world and raise awareness for issues that truly matter.

Michael Kors, Giorgio Armani, Kenneth Cole and Blake Mycoskie, founder of the beloved Toms brand, are a few of the many more that support charitable causes in the midst of their success.

So cut out a daily trip to Starbucks each week, buy one less shirt you probably don’t need or eat dinner in instead of out one more night a week. Use that small amount of money and donate it to a greater cause. You might be surprised how much more rewarding that feels.

My parents always taught me that talent and hard work are vital to one’s career. However, integrity, character and truly representing the type of person you are prove to be even more important throughout life. These designers have used their success and wealth to promote a stronger, more positive world, and that never goes out of style.

To donate to these charities this season, visit their websites at newyorkersforchildren.org , ralphlaurencenter.org and vitalvoices.org .