4 teachers receive awards for technology in teaching this past weekend

The IU School of Education issued several awards this past weekend to teachers across the country.

Four teachers were honored with Jacobs Teacher Educator awards for using technology to support ground-breaking, inquiry-based teaching and learning activities in their classrooms, according to an IU news release.

The teachers were selected from across the country. Two teachers from Illinois, one from Arizona and one from New Jersey received the award.

Three of those who were selected attended a ceremony during Parents’ Weekend to receive their awards.

Kate Baker teaches both ninth and 12th grade English at Southern Regional High School in Manahawkin, N.J.

In addition to teaching, Beker is a contributing author to a book titled “Flipping 2.0: Practical Strategies for Flipping Your ?Classroom.”

Baker actively shares her expertise through Twitter, blogging, e-journals and presentations at conferences across the country.

Tricia Fuglestad, one of the two recipients from Illinois, teaches art to kindergartners through fifth graders, according to IU. Fugelstad has a master’s degree in K-12 technology integration and has been recognized for her innovative teaching practices several times since 2010.

Additionally, Fuglestad’s students’ art has been shown in state and national art shows and featured in college art education textbooks and the magazines iPhone Life and Natural Childworld, according to the release.

Karen Mensing is a first and second grade teacher for gifted students at Fireside Elementary School in Phoenix, Ariz.

Mensing became a Google Certified Teacher in 2011 at the first International Google Teacher Academy and in the same year became one of the first YouTube Star Teachers.

In 2012, Mensing was awarded a $10,000 makeover for her classroom for her creative use of Internet safety in the classroom, according to the release.

The award was given by Honeywell and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

Josh Mika, the other award recipient from Illinois, is a teacher and librarian at Beebe Elementary School. Mika taught fourth and fifth graders for eight years before transitioning into teaching in the library and media center, which he has done for the past nine years.

In addition to his role as a teacher, Mika now serves on the U.S. Apple Distinguished Educator Advisory Board, where he is responsible for planning and executing annual summer teaching institutes, according to the University.

Previously, Mika was named an Apple Distinguished Educator in 2011.

The Jacobs Teacher Educator Award is funded by a $1 million gift from the late Barbara Jacobs.

Jacobs established the Jacobs Chair in Education and Technology in 1998, according to the University.

Thomas Brush is the current Barbara Jacobs chair of education and technology.

“The School of Education is excited to add this group of exceptional teachers to our team of Jacobs Educators,” Brush said. “Their innovative uses of technology to support teaching and learning in their classrooms will serve as exemplars of the best ways to integrate technology and pedagogy for our teacher education students.”