3 new exhibits to open at IU Art Museum

This exhibition is devoted to the drawings and paintings created by Catalan American painter Pierre Daura in response to his personal relationships. The opening lecture is Friday, Oct. 3 at the IU Art Museum.

Visitors to the IU Art Museum will soon get to experience art dating back to the second century B.C.

Three new exhibits are coming to IU Art Museum this month. They will showcase Oct. 4 through Dec. 21.

The exhibits, titled “Pierre Daura (1896–1976): Picturing Attachments,” “Brush Ink Paper: Selections from the Collection of Dr. Thomas Kuebler” and “Colors of Classical Art,” showcase a wide array of art in many different forms and give visitors a look into the past of many different cultures.

“Picturing Attachments” shows the many works of painter Pierre Daura, which were inspired by his personal relationships and his service in the Spanish Civil War.

The influence of his life inspires his most beautiful, original and moving works, no matter what medium he uses to create them.

Daura received his art education at the Academy of Fine Arts in Barcelona, known as La Llotja. His teachers included José Ruiz y Blasco, who was Pablo Picasso’s father, and Joseph Calvo.

In the later years of his life, Daura said, “All I have ever wanted to do is to find a way to paint. I have painted. I have worked. I have given myself to my art. That is what I have wanted since my very early age ... to be an artist, good or bad ... that is what I am.”

“Brush Ink Paper” showcases Chinese and Japanese calligraphy and paintings that date back to the 17th century. The collection consists of works by Zen monks and Japanese poets and gives viewers a look into Chinese and Japanese history.

The collector for “Brush Ink Paper ,” Dr. Thomas Kuebler, received his medical degree from Johns Hopkins and practiced in Indianapolis for more than 25 years.

Kuebler was especially interested in paintings, prints, textiles and wooden objects from all over the world and from all time periods. He also served for many years as president of the Asian Art Society, which is affiliated with the Indianapolis Museum ?of Art.

“Colors of Classical Art” explores ancient Greek and Roman art. The pieces in the exhibition are from the IUAM’s already large collection of antiquities. Some of the pieces are seldom on view to the public.

The exhibition showcases a wide range of art, including stone, ceramics, glass, jewelry and textiles. The process of manufacturing and applying color to art so long ago is examined as well.

“Colors of Classical Art” will consist of two parts that will open on the first floor exhibition space, as well as in the permanent collections gallery on the second floor and the third part will be available online. The second floor gallery offers a self-guided tour and showcases objects that contain color or were once vibrantly colored.

For those interested in visiting the exhibits, the IU Art Museum is open 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday and noon until 5 p.m. Sunday. The Art Museum is closed on Mondays and major holidays. All exhibitions are free and open to the ?public.