IU loses backup quarterback to ACL tear, down to third string

IU vs Iowa

Another twist in the IU starting quarterback situation leaves true freshman Zander Diamont as the likely starter on Saturday when IU plays No. 8 Michigan State at 3:30 p.m.

Don Fischer confirmed on JMV The Ride on 1070 The Fan that true freshman Chris Covington tore an ACL in IU’s 45-29 loss to Iowa last Saturday.

Covington was listed as the starting quarterback in Tuesday’s depth chart, followed by Diamont.

True sophomore Nate Boudreau was listed third as Diamont’s backup.

The Hoosiers were trying to avoid using the 6-foot-1, 175-pound Diamont in order to redshirt him this season, but those plans changed when junior quarterback Nate Sudfeld suffered a season-ending shoulder injury last week against Iowa.

IU offensive coordinator Kevin Johns said that Diamont had “a little Johnny Manziel” in him on National Signing Day earlier this year.

IU Coach Kevin Wilson didn’t comment on his quarterback situation on his radio show Wednesday night, but joked that the quarterback situation was “a big question.”

Diamont enrolled at IU in January to take part in spring practice.

As a senior in high school, Diamont threw for 3,501 yards and 47 touchdowns and was named Los Angeles City Player of the Year.

At his press conference on Monday, Wilson said he felt comfortable using both Diamont and Covington.

If Diamont does in fact start, he will become the second true-freshman quarterback to ever start for IU. The last to do so was Tre Roberson in 2011.

“Zander is a good player, throws well, runs well,” Wilson said. “He’s a smaller guy...When you have freshmen, you have some mistakes, and they are going to be challenged, but the defense is going to do everything they can do make his role uncomfortable.”