Cardinal Stage Company hosts 'Rocky Horror' fundraiser

The Cardinal Stage Company will celebrate its ninth showing of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” at 8 p.m. and midnight Saturday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

There will be two showings of the cult classic as well as a variety of other activities. Tickets cost $15 without costumes and $10 with costumes.

“We use it as a fundraiser for different education initiatives,” IU graduate student Elizabeth Faranda said. Faranda works with Cardinal Stage Company.

She said the event funds programs such as the Community Ticket Initiative, which brings local school students to matinee performances of shows at Cardinal at discounted prices of up to 80 percent off of original ticket prices.

Megan McMonigle, an IU sophomore and volunteer at Cardinal, said she and her friends went to the midnight showing last year and can’t wait to come back this year.

She said she has been obsessed with the movie since she first saw it in junior high school.

“It was a night where everyone had something in common,” she said, describing waiting outside for the doors to open.

Faranda said the ritual and preshow activities are hosted by Daniel Petrie, who will be the emcee.

“He said that he’s done this for four or five years,” she said.

Once people were let inside, there was music, dancing, a costume contest and a “de-virginization ritual,” including a sex noise contest, for first-time attendees.

McMonigle said her friends were kind of shocked by the experience at first, but by the end everybody had had a great time.

The theater was full of excitement by the end of the showing, and people stood outside for hours talking about the movie.

Faranda said the midnight show sold out last year and the 8 p.m. viewing was close to full as well.

The audience size and participation are a huge part of the experience, McMonigle said. The crowd’s energy and excitement are what make the night so much fun.

Adding to the audience participation are prop bags that will be sold for $5 at the door, Faranda said. They contain things such as water guns to simulate the rain scene and rice to throw at the wedding, among other props.

“We have toasted 450 slices of bread,” she said.

Having 350 bags last year wasn’t enough, she said, so they made 100 more than last year. There will be guides to educate newcomers.

She said the overall event could be described as “controlled chaos,” a wild experience that people return to year after year with their friends.

“It’s definitely something different,” she said.