Bloomington hosts NAACP convention, free health screenings

By Anicka Slachta

The City of Bloomington Community and Family Resources Department and IU Health Bloomington will offer free health screenings to the community from 10 a.m. to noon Friday.

The two organizations are co-sponsoring the event to line up with the 2014 NAACP State Convention , also beginning Friday, according to a press release from the City of Bloomington.

Free screenings for diabetes (A1C), blood pressure and HIV will be provided to those who attend the event, according to the release.

“The African American population is at higher risk for diabetes, heart disease, HIV/AIDS and stroke than other ethnic groups,” the release said. “Preventative health screenings reduce the risk of developing chronic diseases and health problems.”

These health screenings could detect complications early and will serve as a starting point if people need to seek further medical attention, the release states.

The NAACP (the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) State Convention will take place in Bloomington from Friday to Sunday and will feature guest speaker Cornell Williams Brooks, in addition to the Freedom Fund Scholarship and Awards Banquet, according to the Indianapolis NAACP website.

There will also be workshops during the three days, and people will have the opportunity to be trained in ?several subjects: economic sustainability, political action and representation, education, environment and climate justice and health, among other topics.

Brooks, the speaker at the event, is the president and CEO of the NAACP. He is a longtime lawyer and human rights activist, according to the national NAACP website. He was formally inducted to the organization this past July at the 105th National ?Convention in Las Vegas.

Brooks has also been participating in the Justice Tour, which, according to the NAACP website, will take Brooks all over the United States to learn and educate others about the work of the NAACP.

“The goal of this tour is to rally Americans across the country to register to vote, to address the economic challenges facing thousands of families, to discuss issues of racial profiling, to engage with young activists and veteran civil rights leaders, and to build the ranks of NAACP membership,” the website said.

The Convention is also offering a “Soul Food Dinner,” which will be a fundraiser for the Monroe County NAACP. Both sit-down and carry-out meal options will be available.

While screenings are free, the Soul Food Dinner will require a $20 ticket, which must be purchased in advance at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater by phone or online.

Both the convention and screenings will take place at the Bloomington Convention Center, located at 302 S. ?College Ave.