Oladipo earns invite to USA Select team

Former IU men’s basketball standout Victor Oladipo has earned an invitation to the USA Select team, per reports from Yahoo Sports.

The USA Select team’s purpose is to compete against the USA National team in drills and scrimmages while the National team prepares for international ?competition.

The FIBA Basketball World Cup will start Aug. 30 in various locations in Spain, and the Summer Olympics will be in Rio de Janeiro starting Aug. 5, 2016.

The USA National team qualified for both and will begin their summer training camp on July 28 for the FIBA Basketball World Cup, in which the National team and the Select team will both take part.

Other members who received an invitation to the ?Select team include Doug McDermott, Marcus Smart, Tobias Harris, Mason Plumlee and Miles Plumlee, according to the Yahoo report.

During his final season at IU, Oladipo was named a first team All-American and Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and a member on the first team All-Big Ten defensive team.

As a 21-year-old rookie drafted No. 2 overall by the Orlando Magic in 2013, ?Oladipo was the runner up in NBA Rookie of the Year voting this year behind Philadelphia 76ers’ guard Michael Carter-Williams.

Oladipo averaged 13.8 points, 4.1 rebounds and 4.1 assists per game during his first season in the NBA.

He led the Magic with 1.6 steals per game and was second on the team in assists per game.

Evan Hoopfer