Peter Jurkin to transfer

Junior center Peter Jurkin is leaving the basketball program, IU Coach Tom Crean announced today.

“He has had an uphill battle health-wise since he arrived,” Crean said. “He believes he can get to a point where he can contribute at a level greater than what he is able to do here.”

Due to injuries, Jurkin never fulfilled his potential when he came to IU as a 3-star prospect. In his two-year career, Jurkin only scored two points (on free throws) and played 18 minutes in 11 games.

It is not known where Jurkin will transfer to. IU will be losing an Academic All-Big Ten member with Jurkin’s departure.

The 7-foot, South Sudan native leaves the Hoosiers’ frontcourt even more depleted.

With former center Noah Vonleh’s ninth overall selection in the NBA Draft Thursday and Luke Fischer’s transfer to Marquette on Dec. 31, the tallest returning player is Hanner Mosquera-Perea at 6-foot-9.

“I want to thank Coach Crean and everyone on the staff for helping me through my injuries and the death of my father,” Jurkin said. “I will always consider myself a Hoosier and think it is best if I look at another opportunity to pursue my education and continuing my playing career.  Physically, I still have work to do but will hopefully be up to the challenge.”

Evan Hoopfer