Coach Tracy Smith leaves for Arizona State

IU vs Toledo

IU Baseball Coach Tracy Smith is leaving Indiana for the head coaching position at Arizona State, both teams have confirmed.

“This was one of the most difficult decisions I have ever faced,” Smith said in a release. “The truth of the matter is, at this stage of my life, I am ready for a new challenge. Indiana is a part of who I am and always will be.”

Smith brought about one of the most successful eras in Indiana Baseball. In 2013, IU reached the College World Series for the first time in school history.

Coming into the 2014 season, IU was ranked No. 3 in the preseason polls. This was the only the highest preseason ranking in school history, but in Big Ten history.

IU Athletic Director Fred Glass said Smith’s vision of what IU baseball could be came true these past two seasons with the amount of success and attention the program received.

“As his friend,” Glass added, “I will also greatly miss just having him around.”

Smith is replacing Arizona State Coach Tim Esmay, who resigned with one year left on his contract. Metcalfe is reporting there will be a press conference on Thursday introducing Smith as the newest Sun Devils’ coach.

Arizona State is one of the more storied programs in college baseball. They have been crowned national champions five times, had 102 major league players and have recorded an astounding 52 straight 30-win seasons.

In comparison, IU has reached the College World Series just once, last year, and came up short of winning the national title. Also, IU has won over 30 games in a season in just eight of the last 15 years.

IU men’s basketball coach Tom Crean took to Twitter to congratulate Smith on the new job.

Over three tweets, Crean said, “Tracy Smith is one of the finest coaches I have ever met. It was an absolute Honor and Privilege to work side by side with him.

“As great a teacher as Tracy Smith is he is even a better person and to see how he built this program to what it is should make us all proud.

“We should all be thankful for what Tracy and Jaime Smith did for this School and State. (Arizona State) has no idea how fortunate they are to have you.”

Smith’s replacement at IU is unknown, but the process to find his replacement is will begin immediately, Glass said.

Smith has said before that whenever he is done coaching, no matter where he is coaching, he and his wife Jaime want to retire in Bloomington.