arts   |  iu auditorium

A capella groups perform at IU Auditorium

0000-en65369681

Acappella groups Under the Streetlamp and Genteman's Rule perform various styles of songs at the IU Auditorium on Thursday. Matailong Du Buy Photos

The curtain rose to reveal eight men in dark gray suits. They made up Gentleman’s Rule, an eight-member a cappella group opening for Under the Streetlamp.

The show started at 8 p.m. It was the first show of the 50-city concert tour that Under the Streetlamp and Gentleman’s Rule will be headlining.

Gentleman’s Rule originated at IU and focuses on contemporary and retro-style music.

“We are so excited to be back here tonight to share our gifts with you,” Brent Mann, member of Gentleman’s Rule, told the audience.

The group performed song covers ranging from “Ain’t No Sunshine” to “Good Life,” and modern hits such as Rihanna’s “Stay.” They sang in falsetto, beat-boxed and danced.

“They have angelic voices, spiffy moves and have great charm. They are the total package,” Bloomington resident Theresa Wentsworth said before the show. “I look forward to hearing them perform again since they are music to my ears.”

Audience members whistled and applauded at the performance.

Under the Streetlamp, also an a capella group, got its start on the Broadway musical “Jersey Boys.”

The group sang classics from the 1950s, ’60s and ’70s.

“This group has the talent of bringing their own style to classics I used to listen to,” Indianapolis native Douglas Mackie said. “I have seen them before on the videos, and I look forward to seeing them live.”

0000-en318029999

More in Iu auditorium