One ticket remains in running for IUSA elections

With the passing of the application deadline, PLUS for IUSA remains the only executive ticket running in the IU Student Association election.

Though another ticket had initially expressed its intent to run, the executive presidential candidate withdrew their intent to compete with PLUS on their Facebook page days before the application deadline.  

“I’m very disappointed with the way things went this year,” Election Commissioner Jared Thomas said. “Frankly, I wish the second ticket would have stayed in the race
despite what they perceived as an uphill battle.”

Despite being approached by another interested ticket before the application deadline, Thomas said, that ticket never followed up. PLUS remains the only ticket in the
running.

Candidates in the IUSA ticket include sophomore Andy Braden, junior Michelle Chung, junior Will Wartenberg and sophomore Nick Laszlo. They are running for the positions of President of the Student Body, Vice President of Administration, Vice President of
Administration and Treasurer of the Student Body, respectively.

Thomas said he hopes the campaign and election will turn into “an IUSA callout and awareness campaign,” which will enable the student body to express their concerns directly to the ticket that they know will be in office next year.

Instead of a debate, Thomas said there will be a meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Whittenberger Auditorium for students to ask questions directly to the executive ticket.

PLUS will have the opportunity to present their platform and hear student concerns, and Thomas said he encouraged students who are not happy with the single-ticket race to attend.  

“I hope that students who may be interested in getting involved with IUSA start organizing themselves now for a run at next year’s campaign,” Thomas said. “If you felt like PLUS was too organized to compete against this year, the best way to counter that is to organize now for next year.”

Follow reporter Dani Castonzo on Twitter @Dani_Castonzo.