Swing band performs at Players Pub

CAROUSELentPlayersPub

Dressed in black, Stardusters “little BIG” Band got the crowd at Players Pub ready to dance with the song “In The Mood” by Glenn Miller.

Audience members were excited to swing dance, despite the cold weather restrictions on attire.

Jerry Jerome, director and owner of Stardusters “little BIG” Band, said his band first played at the pub one month after it opened.

“The Pub is a great venue,” Jerome said. “We love it there. It fits us perfectly, because it is our crowd.”

Phyllis Schwitzer, one member of Stardusters’ “crowd” who showed up for Wednesday’s show, said she has enjoyed Stardusters’ music for more than 10 years.

“The music is calming, and you can dance to it,” Schwitzer said.

She said that while all genres of music may have dancing qualities, swing is more danceable than some.

The “little BIG” Band, as well as the full jazz orchestra Jerome also directs, recorded a live album in 2004 at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

Jerome said that while recording is great, and that he plans for future recordings, making albums is not his objective.

“It is not our thing,” Jerome said. “We are a performing band.”

Founded in 1993 and playing the Bloomington scene since 1996, Stardusters operates as a band for hire in many regions.

Janiece Jaffe, the principle vocalist for Stardusters, received her degree in vocal jazz performance from IU in 1996.

“It was part of my education,” Jaffe said, “And I have always been attracted to jazz and improvisational singing since I was a little kid.”

Jaffe said everyone should treat themselves to the experience of live music.

To her, swing music not only gives the audience a chance to let loose with dancing, but to appreciate the improvisational context of jazz that gives the musicians themselves a chance to be creative.

“I think it is very uplifting in a live situation,” Jaffe said. “It creates a lot of energy.”

At a time when swing music no longer dominates the music scene, Jerome said Stardusters has adapted its music to fit needs of younger audiences as well.

“We do a lot of wedding receptions where it is a younger crowd and they want younger music, and we can do it,” Jerome said.

The focus of the band still caters to swing music aficionados.

“There is a strong following of musicians that are dedicated to the style of music,” Jerome said. “It will never die, but it is not an easy sell all the time either.”