education

Indiana to receive federal grants for school systems

Indiana is one of 13 states and the District of Columbia awarded School Improvement Grants from the U.S. Department of Education to help turn around its lowest-performing schools.

Indiana will receive more than $8.6 million, the second-highest amount of the 13 states. Georgia is set to receive more than $16 million.

Washington received the next highest amount after Indiana, with a grant of more than $7 million. Combined, the states will receive more than $67 million.

These grants are awarded to state educational agencies, who then award these grants to school districts in their state who are most in need and demonstrate a strong commitment to help their most struggling schools succeed.

“When schools fail, our children and neighborhoods suffer,” U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan said in a press release. “These School Improvement Grants are helping some of the lowest-achieving schools provide a better education for students who need it the most.”

Indiana received School Improvement Grants in 2009, 2010 and 2011 in the amounts of $9,437,827, $9,240,201 and $9,352,258, respectively.

Daniel Altman, press secretary with the Indiana Department of Education, said the application and criteria for schools that want to apply for these grants will be released later this month. The funds will be used during the 2014-2015 school year.

“The (Indiana) Department of Education is dedicated to providing schools with the resources they need to ensure that all Hoosier children receive an equitable and high quality education,” Indiana Superintendent of Public Instruction Glenda Ritz said in a press release.

— Sydney Murray