Fans flock to Jon McLaughlin show

CAROUSELentJonMcLaughlin

One fan described the crowd at Jon McLaughlin’s show at the Bluebird Nightclub Thursday as a “horde.”

Self-proclaimed fan Roberta Kelley said she traveled with her friend Julie around the country to see McLaughlin eight times over the past six years.

“We’ve been following him around for a while now,” Kelley said. “He hasn’t been touring for a while because he and his wife just had a baby.’”

Jessica Teach and her husband, Brad, traveled from Indianapolis to see him at the Bluebird.

A former IU student, Teach said her husband introduced her to McLaughlin’s music, but it was the way he sounded live that really sold her.

“We see him anytime he’s anywhere near Indy,” Teach said.

Guitarist Dylan Williams has been playing with McLaughlin for the past 10 years since they went to college together at Anderson University.

“We’re pretty much best friends at this point,” Williams said. “We started playing together in college and haven’t stopped since.”

Williams said he really knows how to compliment McLaughlin’s voice and purpose with his guitar.

“I feel really good about his music,” Williams said. “The writing is mainly Jon’s vision, but I know his voice; it’s something I can relate to. I feel like I can really get behind it.”

McLaughlin’s music’s qualities are what Kelley said keeps her and Julie on board.

“The music is good and wholesome,” Kelley said. “He’s not into the party scene, he doesn’t do drugs. He’s just a good Christian guy that can really sing.”

And it’s the loyal fanbase Williams said has made their touring experience great.

“His fans are generally really nice,” Williams said. “It’s not like we’re a metal band where you have to watch your wallet. They’re loyal fans that travel long distances to see him preform — just a positive group.”

Follow reporter Janica Kaneshiro on Twitter @janicakaneshiro.