student life

IU on Strike meets to reflect protest, brainstorm ideas

caStrikers

IU on Strike participants and new members met in Woodburn Hall Sunday to reflect on last year’s demonstration and to discuss ideas for the new year.
In April, the movement of students, employees and community members organized a two-day, campus-wide demonstration to address issues facing the university. Their concerns included increased tuition rates, wage freezes for employees and a lack of diversity on campus.
Sunday’s event lasted from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., and included segments for strike reflections, skills workshops and brainstorming new strategies.
At about 3 p.m., members met in small groups and gathered in several classrooms to discuss campus security culture, meeting facilitation and poster and flyer design, among other topics.
After the small group sessions ended, a larger group of about 30 members formed a circle around the main lobby of Woodburn Hall. Banners surrounded the meeting area, displaying slogans such as “Fight austerity. The world you want is here for the taking,” and “Reflect. Rethink. Resist.”
Each member explained what resources he or she could contribute during the semester. Several members expressed their enthusiasm, dedication and willingness to give their time to the cause. Others said they aimed to help with writing and designing posters and flyers, distributing information and bringing food to the weekly assemblies or other gatherings.
Participants then divided into small groups of about six people. Each group was given a poster and markers to brainstorm and write down goals and ideas for the semester.
After about 20 minutes of brainstorming, members shared their thoughts with the full group.
Member Rob Jonson said he thought the meeting was productive, and he has already noticed more people joining and supporting their cause.  
“Discussions are more dynamic because there are more people,” he said. “People are still very energized by the strike.”
Jonson said he hopes to see increased student involvement this year. He aims to make sure everyone’s concerns are addressed, whether the topics address department mergers or meal plans.
“We just need to figure out how to include more voices,” he said.
Members of the group recently published a pamphlet, which was available for the first time at the meeting. The pamphlet contains accounts of the strike and discusses improvements the group hopes to make in the future, including how participants organize demonstrations and provide food.  
According to the pamphlet, members are deciding whether or not to refer to the movement as “IU on Strike” because they don’t want to be defined and limited by the strike. No alternative names were proposed in the pamphlet.
“A strike is one of many tactics to broaden struggle against austerity within the university,” the authors of the pamphlet said. “Names like ‘striker’ and ‘IU on Strike’ limit autonomy, and create a stagnant university movement in which we are always identified by a singular action instead of the culture we hope to encourage.”

Follow reporter Alyssa Schor on Twitter
@alyssa_schor29.