Garlic Festival presents local talent, food

entGarlicFest

Among the smorgasbord of community arts around town this Labor Day weekend, the festivities continued as live music, artistic talent, and local garlic-infused cuisine permeated Third Street Park for the Bloomington Community Art Fair and Garlic Fest.

To celebrate garlic and food preparation focused on health, speakers presented by Garlic, Inc., shared helpful hints about integrating garlic into cooking. 

Festival-goers participated in the Healthful Garlic Cooking contest. Katlyn Mast won the adult competition with her falafel and received a $500 cash prize, sponsored by the Runcible Spoon.

The Art Fair portion of the event featured over 40 vendors of arts and crafts ranging from handmade soap to pens made out of snakeskin, and a range of artistic mediums in between.

Self-taught painter Laura Bulla of Nashville, Ind., stood outside her booth of oil paintings, striking conversations with festival-goers. As her first outdoor art festival, Bulla said the experience at Garlic Fest was an enlightening one.

“It breaks down barriers because some people are intimidated by galleries,” Bulla said. “At outdoor festivals, there’s a lot of value to be able to walk into the booths and admire the different art.”

M and David Roach of Leavenwoth, Ind., displayed their small handcrafted vessel flute ocarinas and pocketpipes and performed on stage Sunday afternoon. 

The festival’s other musical performances showcased Kid Kazooey, Gordon Bonham Blues Band and Jenn Cristy, among others.  

The musical finale from Soul Street brought a taste of groovy funk as spectators danced to Motown, disco and contemporary R&B covers. For Bulla, the most rewarding part of the day was seeing children in awe.

“For artists, they say the festival circuit can be addicting,” Bulla said. “Having people come into the space and seeing that they were involved, most of them smiling, I get it.”

Follow reporter Jillian Ranegar on Twiter @JillianRanegar.