arts jacobs school of music

World harp competition heads to Jacobs School

The Jacobs School of Music recently announced it will play host to one of the world’s leading international harp competitions next month.

The ninth USA International Harp Competition will take place Wednesday, July 10 at the Jacobs School of Music and is expected to draw more than 50 professional harpists to Bloomington, the largest number of contestants since the competition’s inception.

The triennial competition was founded in 1989 by Distinguished Professor Susann McDonald, chair of the Jacobs Harp Department and artistic director for the competition.

“With the largest collegiate harp department in the world and excellent facilities, the (Jacobs) school provides an ideal venue for the event,” McDonald said in a press release.

Fifty-two harpists from 21 countries will be participating this year, performing in front of a jury of internationally recognized musicians, including harpists Sarah Bullen, Mieko Inoue, Dan Yu and pianist Emile Naoumoff.

In addition to the competition recitals, the competition’s 2010 Gold Medal winner Agnès Clément will perform Saturday, July 13 and jazz harpist Park Stickney will perform Thursday, July 18, both in Auer Hall.

This year’s gold medalist will receive a new harp from Lyon & Healy Harps worth $55,000 and will be featured in two debut recitals. The winner will also receive guidance from artistic management staff as part of a recording contract prize.

The USA International Harp Competition will conclude with a concert in the Musical Arts Center on Saturday, July 20. The performance will include the competition participants and the IU Summer Festival Orchestra.

— Amanda Jacobson