education

Indiana Department of Education seeks $613,000 for ISTEP+ damages

The Indiana Department of Education announced preliminary damages it will seek from CTB McGraw-Hill related to ISTEP+ interruptions experienced by schools throughout the state this spring.

The preliminary damages amount sought will be no less than $613,600 and could reasonably go into the millions for the two days of interruptions related to computer glitches.

These amounts are not final. They are subject to grow as results are reviewed by a third party and additional information is gained.

That amount includes $400,000 in liquidated damages that would be provided for as stated in the contract between the Department of Education and CTB.

It also includes $53,600 that the Department will spend to have a third party conduct an analysis of the scores of the students that had their testing sessions interrupted and at least $160,000 for other related costs.

In addition to the preliminary damages, additional damages may be sought after further investigation.

Those potential damages include, but are not limited to reimbursement to Indiana schools for additional costs incurred to administer ISTEP+ during the extended testing window as well as reimbursement to the Indiana Department of Education for additional costs incurred because of ISTEP+ testing interruptions.

“I have worked close with the CTB throughout the ISTEP+ testing process,” Superintendent Glenda Ritz said in a press release. “The consequences of CTB’s server failures were real and significant for Indiana schools. As Superintendent, I will work to ensure that schools are made whole while continuing to negotiate with CTB in good faith.”

Samantha Felix