crime & courts

Arrest made after domestic dispute turns violent

A domestic argument turned violent early Monday morning and resulted in arrests on three preliminary felony charges for a 27-year-old man, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Joe Crider said.

Matthew Fleener and his 22-year-old girlfriend got in an argument about their relationship. Fleener had been drinking.

The woman reported that Fleener jumped on top of her and threatened to kill her, placing his hands over her mouth and nose. The woman freed herself, but Fleener then grabbed a pillow and placed it on her face.

She freed herself once again and tried to leave the residence, Crider said, but Fleener stood on the doorway to block her from exiting, swinging a baseball bat.

Fleener then told the woman he would harm himself, Crider said. He retrieved a sheet and tied one end around his neck and attempted to tie the other around a rack in a closet before the woman stopped him. Fleener then fled, jumping off a balcony and running away.

Police later located Fleener, who admitted to an argument, which he said stemmed from her not letting him use her phone. He said he did jump on top of the woman and cover her mouth, but not her nose. He said when he saw she was having difficulty breathing, he stopped.

He also denied using the pillow, threatening to harm himself and swinging the baseball bat, saying he only picked it up.

Fleener was arrested Monday morning on preliminary charges of strangulation, intimidation with a deadly weapon and criminal confinement, all felonies.

– Max McCombs