student life

School of Optometry moves services

The School of Optometry is shifting its services from Community Eye Care Center to the Atwater Eye Care Center, which will become the centralized location for eye patients in that area.

The Community Eye Care Center is closing down for good next Thursday. Eye Care Center patients should not be a problem, since the two centers are only about 2 miles away from each other. But if one needs transportation, like Crestwood neighborhood residents, a Bloomington Transit bus stop is located not far away from the centers, according to the press release.

The Community Eye Care Center patients will have more of a selection from doctors, resources and eyewear as well as free parking at the $3 million Atwater facility on East Third Street.

According to a press release, IU School of Optometry’s Associate Dean of Clinical and Patient Care Services Dr. Neil Pence said it makes sense for them to have all their services under one roof. Pence also said in the press release that there will be more doctors and staff available and the patients will have more complex issues addressed at Atwater. He added that the Atwater Eye Care Center is one of the largest and most modern eyewear centers in the area.

“All of our free and reduced-fee services will continue to be offered, scheduling is the same, no one will see their doctors change, and they’ll benefit from our state-of-the-art facility,” Pence said in the press release.

The Atwater Eye Care Center plans to serve Community Eye Care Center patients along with its own patients starting May 6.

— Aaricka Washington