Open mic finds home among cookies

entBaked

Live music and comedy were served with milk and cookies at Baked! of Bloomington Tuesday night as part of a new campaign of weekly open-mic nights.

Started in February by local folk-bluegrass duo Wildflower Union, the open-mic nights are at the bakery at 8 p.m. every Tuesday

“Business is pretty quiet on Tuesdays so everyone has more space to play,” said Xander Legg, Baked! general manager.

An audience of several customers sat listening on recliners and couches, sipping milk cartons.

“We hope that the performances will eventually reel in more customers,” Legg said.

Under a full moon painted onto the bakery’s ceiling, Wildflower Union played acoustic versions of songs by The Black Keys, Johnny Cash, and even Snoop Dogg. Other musicians and a stand-up comedian also took the stage — an old wooden chest in the back room.  

“Baked! is a great atmosphere to perform in,” comedian Jordan Mather-Licht said. “And everyone is so supportive.”

Mather-Licht, a freshman who studies theater, joked about drinking, dating and 1990s game shows. He said he enjoys the rush of being in front of a crowd.

“The number one thing that people notice about me when I’m performing is my confidence on stage,” Mather-Licht said. “My theater experience definitely helps me overcome stage fright.”

Poets, comedians and music makers of all skills are encouraged to participate.

“Even if someone just has something interesting that they found on the internet that they want to share, everyone is welcome,” said Constance Marguerite, female vocalist of Wildflower Union. “It’d even be cool if some artists came and showed off some of their work.”

Audience members said the open-mic nights are a good way to promote community involvement.

“Hopefully word spreads quickly so more people come out,” said Karen Heminger, who made fliers for the event. “It’s all about togetherness.”