student life

Case of student measles confirmed

An IU student has a confirmed case of measles, the Indiana State Department of Health confirmed Friday.

The student did not attend classes while sick, nor does the student live on campus. The individual did, however, visit the CVS Pharmacy at 1000 N. College Ave., the Bloomington Hospital emergency department and the Health Center while infectious.

Those who were at the CVS from 4:30-7:30 p.m. on March 24 might have been exposed to measles, according to the press release. Additionally, the individual visited the Health Center on March 25 while infectious, though the individual wore a mask at the clinic, lessening the chances of infection. The Health Center is contacting those possibly exposed.

Amanda Roach of Bloomington Hospital said those who might have been exposed have already been personally contacted to determine their Measles, Mumps, and Rubella vaccination status and to determine if they now need to be tested.  

The Monroe County Health Department and the University are also currently figuring out if other cases exist.

Measles virus is a very contagious respiratory disease caused by a virus. For more information about measles, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at www.cdc.gov/measles/.

Matthew Glowicki