BEAD brings year-round art into community

entBead

The Bloomington Entertainment and Arts District puts on Atrium Exhibitions year-round. Each month, a different artist is featured in galleries in the City Hall Atrium.

Miah Michaelsen, assistant economic development director for the arts, is in charge of these exhibitions.

Before Michaelsen started her job at City Hall, she said there was no ongoing series of exhibitions. However, she said she thinks it’s very important to look for ways to integrate art into the life of the community.

Once she began her work, she said she put together the series of exhibitions.
Michaelsen said it was a part of her job description to take care of the exhibitions, but she took it even further and made it an event that goes on all year.

Artists submit their work to those in charge, like Michaelsen, who then hang it up and put it on display. The artist’s work is exhibited for a month or so, and then it can be sold or just put on display, depending on the artist’s preference.

However, it is completely up to the artist to submit their work.

“It’s a great opportunity for artists to be seen by the community,” Michaelsen said.  
She said it’s even better when the weather is warm and the farmer’s market is going on, because a lot more people are out and can see the exhibits.

Michaelsen said it’s important they continue the exhibition program because it breaks the routine of the employees at City Hall by giving them different surroundings each month.

She also said it’s important to have artwork in unexpected places, because it makes things more exciting and interesting.

“It’s great for people in the community to have the opportunity to see art on exhibit,” Michaelsen said.

One of the exhibitioners Michaelsen said is very important to BEAD is the Boys and Girls Club of America.

“We give them the entire space for exhibition,” Michaelsen said. “Every year they fill it up.”

The Boys and Girls Club has put on an exhibition for BEAD for the past two Decembers, according to the atrium schedule.  

“It’s like a tradition,” Michaelsen said.