crime & courts

4 arrests made after February meth busts

Indiana State Police arrested two Bloomington men after receiving an anonymous tip from the Methamphetamine Hot Line Feb. 25. 

The arrests took place near Clear Creek Elementary School, the second methamphetamine bust near a Monroe County school in a three-week period.

Justin Beck  was charged with felony counts of manufacturing methamphetamine, maintaining a common nuisance, possession of methamphetamine and possession of precursors and a misdemeanor count of possession of paraphernalia.

Joshua Deckard was charged with felony counts of conspiracy to manufacturing methamphetamine, possession of precursors and a misdemeanor for visiting a common nuisance.

Indiana State Police arrested two Bloomington residents, Benjamin Aylward and Julia Hamm (Aylward), on charges relating to methamphetamine on the 5000 block of South Madison Street Feb. 26.

Monroe County Community School Corporation officials were not able to be reached for comment.

Both Aylward and Hamm were charged with four felonies. The charges included felonies for manufacturing methamphetamine and for possession of methamphetamine, maintaining a common nuisance and possession of precursors with intent to manufacture.

“The Aylward case was the result of a tip that was given to our Meth Suppression Troopers,” Durnil said.

State Trooper Joshua Allen, who gave the statement in the probable cause affidavit, said he saw a hydrogen chloride generator, which is commonly used during the last step of manufacturing methamphetamine. Aylward  also reportedly purchased pseudoephedrine seven times since Dec. 12, 2012. With this information and a previous arrest for manufacturing methamphetamine in April 2012, Judge Mary Ellen Deikhoff granted a search warrant at 7:15 p.m. Feb. 26.

Both were transported to the Monroe County Jail.

State police were made aware of Justin Beck after receiving an anonymous tip from the Methamphetamine Hotline. The caller stated he or she suspected Beck of manufacturing methamphetamine and that she saw glass jars soaking in a sink and plastic tubing lying around. 

Detective Jon Patrick, who made the statements in the probable cause affidavit, began to investigate Beck and found that he had purchased pseudoephedrine in the last two weeks. This purchase put him at 7.2 grams in 30 days, which is the legal limit a person can buy.

Detective Patrick visited Beck’s address with Trooper Joshua Allen and then filed for a search warrant. While awaiting the warrant’s approval, Patrick and Allen drove by the house and noticed a vehicle in the driveway. 

Beck admitted to manufacturing methamphetamine Feb. 25.

Beck also consented to a warrantless search. During the search, Patrick found Justin Deckard hiding in the basement. Deckard said he went to Wal-Mart earlier, bought pseudoephedrine and gave it to Beck in agreement that he would receive methamphetamine.

Beck and Deckard were taken to Monroe County Jail.