student life

More graffiti marks campus

caGraffiti

More AIDS-related chalk graffiti was found on campus Monday morning. It was written on the side of the Chemistry Building near Ballantine Hall and again mentioned the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house.

The chalking again said members in Fiji have AIDS and made homosexual references.
Doug Bauder, office coordinator for the GLBT Student Support Services, said an anti-harassment incident team has been working with the fraternity. He also said a note was sent to members in the fraternity, urging them to reach out to him if they felt personally offended by the graffiti, or if they had information about who is behind it.

“I don’t know what to say except how stupid it is and how hurtful to the people in the fraternity,” Bauder said. “What’s the point in being so nasty?”

Sean Jordan, vice president of communications for the Interfraternity Council, said the IFC began investigating the incident Thursday.

He said IFC attended their chapter meeting this past Sunday to discuss the incident.
Because IFC is not a police force, it’s hard to know what actions they can take, he said.

“We’ve been kind of discussing what the extent of our power is,” he said.

He said they have not ruled out bringing IU Police Department into the case. Chief of IUPD Keith Cash was not available for comment.

Bauder said he had worried more graffiti would appear.

“I somehow feared someone was out there with a vendetta,” he said. “The amount of time someone is putting into it is very frightening.”

—  Hannah Smith