Worth '21' laughs

0000-MV-270303536

-- image courtesy of IMDb Buy Photos

Tatum and Hill are a jock and a nerd, respectively, who have turned into a police team. They return to high school to find a world where the cool kids are not jocks, but environmentalists. The cliques don’t make sense, but that’s the point: Stereotypes are deconstructed by being turned upside-down.

While “Jump Street” shouldn’t be oversold, it’s a hilarious movie, even if the jokes come at the expense of depth. The challenge of going head-on against buddy cop and high school stereotypes is not really undertaken.

“Jump Street” is just self-aware enough to make its ridiculous concept work. It is crass but smart. If you’re looking for a game-changer, you won’t find it here. But if you believe the job of a comedy is to be funny, then it’s hard to be overly critical.

More

I do not love "Lucy"

‘Lucy’ Starring: Scarlett Johansson, Morgan Freeman D Perhaps the biggest problem with “Lucy” is that it has no actual plot.

A chimp off the old block

Andy Serkis should be applauded for furthering the world of motion-capture performance as seen in tension-driven "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes."

On track but lacking warmth

Climate change has made the world an uninhabitable tundra, and the only humans left alive are those on board a dystopic train that never stops circling the world.