Pedestrian hit by car near Wells Library

Hit by car

A 25-year-old female student was struck by a black Mitsubishi Lancer at about 2:22 p.m. Monday on 10th Street in front of the Herman B Wells Library.

IU Police Department Capt. Jerry Minger said the pedestrian, Anjana Govil, was crossing diagonally across 10th Street and was struck while crossing the westbound lane of traffic.

He said the officers on the scene determined the driver was not driving more than the speed limit.

From the position of Govil and the amount of damage done to the car, he said officers estimate the speed to be around 10 miles per hour.

The pedestrian was struck by the passenger-side bumper of the car and was taken to Bloomington Hospital by an ambulance. Minger said Govil’s only visible injuries were the abrasions on her right knee. However, she did complain about head and neck pains.

“It seems that she just did not see the traffic,” Minger said.

Junior Aden Adhanom said she witnessed the accident from in front of the library. She said she looked over and saw the girl and the car.

“It didn’t look like the car was going fast at all though,” she said.

The 22-year-old student who was driving the car declined to comment on the accident. Police gave her a Breathalyzer test, but results were negative for alcohol.

The owner of the car, who declined to give his name, was riding in the passenger seat at the time. He said he was looking down into his bag and when he looked up Govil was there.

He said she was not in a cross walk, and he could tell she was not looking in the direction of their car. The girl was also talking on her cell phone, he said.

“I don’t think she ever saw us coming,” he said.