women's basketball

Fresh faces hit the Hardwood for 2009-10 season

Sasha Bernard
Freshman guard Sasha Bernard looks forward to seeing some significant playing time this year. She already earned her first start in an exhibition game against Lambuth University.
Coach Felisha Legette-Jack said Bernard exhibits a high basketball IQ. She has anticipated where players like to receive the ball and how to get it to them.
While in high school, Bernard averaged 15 points, nearly eight assists, and 5.6 rebounds per game. She was also named first team All-County for three consecutive years and was a McDonald’s All-American nominee.
Bernard, who is from Delray Beach, Fla., said she thinks that the Hoosiers have the potential to be successful in the Big Ten this season. She has adjusted on the court, but won’t be looking forward to the winter weather ahead.
“I don’t like the cold weather,” Bernard said. “I’m going to have on 10 shirts, 10 pairs of jeans, five pairs of socks and some boots.”

Jasmine Davis
Forward Jasmine Davis comes in with the most accolades among the freshman.
Davis was the “Southern Illinoisan” Player of the Year in 2008 and received Illinois Basketball Coaches Association All-State honors in 2009.
Davis has several school records at her high school, Massac County, including career and single-season rebounds, and most career double-doubles. She is also ranked third in all-time scoring.
Davis might remind fans of a former player, when she is finally injury-free and able to take the court for the Hoosiers.
“You are going to think that Amber Jackson didn’t graduate, because they look alike and they play alike,” Legette-Jack said. “The difference is that Jasmine is a person that can shoot the 3.”
To further the connection, Davis and Jackson share the same number – 42.

Hope Elam
While all of the rookies on the roster might be new to IU, not all of them are new to collegiate basketball.
 Junior forward Hope Elam spent the past two years playing junior college ball at Vincennes University.
Elam has the potential to have a substantial impact on the team, and her teammates agree, giving Elam the nickname “Impact.”
Legette-Jack also said she feels that Elam has potential, referring to her as “amazing.”
“I just think she is a natural, gifted athlete who feels the game,” Legette-Jack said. “You can’t really over-coach a kid like her. You just got to let her evolve and kind of create the plays around her.”
During her time at Vincennes, Elam was ranked in the top-10 nationally in scoring and in rebounding putting up 21.2 points and grabbing 11 rebounds per game. She was also named a NJCAA first-team All-American.

Aulani Sinclair
Forward Aulani Sinclair, like the rest of the new players, had a very successful high school athletic career.
Not only was Sinclair a four-year letterwinner for basketball, but she also lettered in cross-country, softball and volleyball.
Sinclair was a member of the Indiana All-Star team, and was the first from her high school to be given that honor.
Sinclair is considered to be a great shooter. Legette-Jack said she thinks that, because Sinclair is becoming such a prolific rebounder, she will end up playing both the three and the four position for the Hoosiers.
Sinclair also offered insight into the Hoosiers being successful, while being young and lacking experience.
“I think we are going to be young, but we are also going to be quick,” Sinclair said. “We are learning every day, so I expect that we are going to do great things.”