Students for McCain, Obama to debate today

Dean McKaig to moderate arguments

There might be eight weeks to go until Election Day, but students at IU are already prepared to face off.

IU’s Students for John McCain will debate Students for Barack Obama at 7 p.m. today in the Grand Hall of the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center. The debate will cover topics including the economy, the war in Iraq, energy policies and national security among other issues.

Members of the fraternity Alpha Phi Alpha came up with the idea after trying to provide more events that would reach out to more than just minority students, said senior Shawn Curry, who is a member of the fraternity.

“Everyone can get a better understanding in the upcoming election,” he said. “We’re a historically black organization – most of our programs are catered to minorities on students. We felt like it was a good chance for us to branch out through campus.”

Junior Chelsea Kane, chairwoman for IU College Republicans and part of the five-member group debating for Students for John McCain said, “It’s not necessarily about winning or losing but about getting the message out there.” Kane said the group has been preparing for more than a month.

The debate will consist of about nine questions moderated by Dean of Students Dick McKaig. For each question, each side will get a 3-minute response followed by a one-minute rebuttal. A mock election will conclude the debate. Curry said the fraternity will not announce the results of the election until later because they want to reach more students who can vote who will not necessarily attend the debate.

“I want to educate people and I want to show that John McCain is not a tired candidate,” Kane said of the attacks that have been brought upon the Republican nominee. “He’s not the mirror image of Bush. We’re not getting four more years of the same.”

Senior Anna Strand, president of IU College Democrats and a member of the team debating for Students for Barack Obama, said the groups will debate as student representatives for the campaigns.

She said the group has been preparing for about two weeks, adding she felt the most important aspect of the debate was giving voters information.

“Debates are the best way for the two sides to really show the clear differences in their policies,” Strand said, adding that it eliminates any sort of “petty fighting” that can take place otherwise.

She said students need to get educated about issues that affect them most as they work to afford college and then try and find jobs in a worsening economy.

Kane said the debate will be followed by a candlelight vigil at the Showalter Fountain outside the auditorium in memory of the Sept. 11 attacks. Kane said she felt it was important “to come together despite our differences and remember an important day.”