Ball State bout will provide answers

This certainly isn’t the game for trial and error. No implementation of new arrangements, formations or schemes – nothing out of the ordinary.

Look, it’s not like IU is dealing with Western Kentucky or Murray State.

It’s Ball State – a competitive and worthy 3-0 squad that champions lethal weapons on both sides of the ball and is constantly catching its critics by surprise.

But you know what? It’s about time we discover if the Hoosiers are capable against an adept foe.

IU is fortunate to have this type of meaningful non-conference matchup a week before its Big Ten opener against Michigan State.

Not only are bragging rights on the line between the two Indiana schools, but IU coach Bill Lynch will man the sideline opposite from a team he once coached.
Even more so, it’s a chance for the Hoosiers to bump their overall record to 3-0 before a rigorous conference schedule.

So, there’s no overlooking the fact that this in-state clash is a must-win for IU.
Listen: Nothing in week four is likely to define a team’s season. However, Saturday’s duel is a precious opportunity for the Hoosiers to send an emphatic message to future Big Ten foes.

Ball State believes it’s the better team. Obviously, they won’t come out and say it, but it’s clear the Cardinals think they can fly past the Hoosiers.

Hate to break it to you, birds, but history is not on your side.

In fact, IU has prevailed in its last 20 bouts against Mid-American Conference opponents, Ball State being one of them.

But statistics are overlying. And trust me, the Cardinals bring more to the table than expected.

The triple threat of quarterback Nate Davis, running back MiQuale Lewis and wide receiver Dante Love is among the best in the nation – Yes, the nation.

Three players who can do it all. Three players who can change the course of a game with one heroic play. Three players who can ultimately help Ball State climb up the rankings and gain the national recognition it deserves.

Davis especially is gaining the notoriety of a possible Heisman candidate. In three games – regardless of the fact that they were against Northeastern, Navy and Akron – the junior sensation threw for 916 yards and nine touchdowns.

On the flip side, IU quarterback Kellen Lewis threw for 314 yards with two touchdowns in two games. But remember his role against Murray State – Lewis allowed his running backs to dominate in the ground game and score the points.

His job was to stay in the pocket and find his receivers. Lewis might not have thrown for a touchdown, or scored one by himself for that matter, but the offense as a whole flourished. Add the nearly flawless IU defense to the mix and you have a legit contender.

Don’t get me wrong – I love when Lewis runs the ball. But when you have running backs who can take the load off the quarterback, the passing game excels.

It’s going to be a battle of two excellent quarterbacks: Davis vs. Lewis.

For Davis, it’s another night to show why he belongs on the same stage as former Heisman winners Doug Flutie, Vinny Testaverde and Carson Palmer. It’s the night he can quiet his skeptics. It’s the night he can boost his club to a victory over a Big Ten foe.

For Lewis, it’s a shot to show his future Big Ten rivals he’s more than a running quarterback. It’s a chance to get the nation talking about the Cream and Crimson. It’s an occasion to foreshadow performances to come.

No matter how you look at it, it’s going to be an eventful night under the lights at Memorial Stadium.