Will students vote for IUSA officers?

Campus apathy mixed; some will vote in elections

Tax-free textbooks, presidential stipends, better building maintenance and a recent grievance are big issues for students as IU Student Association elections approach. Voter apathy, however, still appears to be a problem. \nIUSA elections are scheduled for today and Wednesday. Some students are getting geared up to vote. Others aren’t sure what IUSA is. \n“I have a green T-shirt for the Kirkwood thing and I was like, ‘man, now I can’t wear it,’” said freshman Hilary Stinson, in regard to the recent allegations the Big Red ticket has made against the Kirkwood ticket. A Kirkwood congressional candidate has admitted to reading and forwarding campaign e-mails from Big Red presidential candidate Luke Fields, but an official decision regarding Kirkwood’s eligibility will be decided Wednesday. \nWhatever the election outcome, Stinson hopes for a government that will work to update the University’s facilities, particularly the bathrooms, and likes the idea of tax-free textbooks. Right now, Stinson thinks she will probably vote for INdiana when she goes to the polls today because of the ticket’s promise to donate the presidential stipend for student scholarships. \n“That could be one of their drives to win it. That money,” she said. \nRebecca Burns, a junior, said she hopes the next administration will be more available to student organizations. \n“It’s been a big deal to us that student government has been disengaged,” she said. Right now, she said she will probably vote for Big Red. But, she admits, she needs to do a little more research before voting. \nSenior Hugh Seller also plans to vote, but his vote is reserved for whatever ticket his buddy is on. \n“I have a friend who is running,” Seller said. “He told me to vote for him.” \nSeller said he wonders about the effectiveness of IUSA and the student government’s ability to communicate with University officials.\n“I care,” he said. “I just wonder how much influence they have.” \nSchool of Public and Environmental Affairs graduate student Anne Tick said she doesn’t plan to vote. And even as IU graduate student David White runs for president on the INdiana ticket, the lure of a promised fall break isn’t enough to bring her to the polls. \n“I just don’t really care,” Tick said. “I probably should.”\nTick isn’t alone. Lauren Godfrey, a sophomore, also thought that maybe she should vote. \n“I wish I was more involved,” she said. But she said she knows she won’t vote. \nSophomore Chris Hays said he is not going to vote.\n“I don’t think it affects me that much really,” he said. “I’m kind of here to get out in four years.” \nJunior James Taylor agreed. \n“I don’t really think it’s that important to be honest,” Taylor said, calling the elections a “popularity contest and resume padding.”