Downtown grows up

A gaze toward the skyline of downtown Bloomington's west side quickly fixates on the structural skeletons of four construction cranes. They hover ominously over their worksites, as if they're trying to magically pull high-rise developments from the limestone base of south-central Indiana.\nA closer inspection reveals the construction of three new buildings that will primarily bring students and some professionals into an area historically dominated by government and business operations.\nBy this time next year, the last red brick will be in place and developers believe that their facilities will be fully occupied. More than 1,300 new residents, retail and commercial tenants will populate the three complexes: The Smallwood Plaza, The Mercury at the Register and The Kirkwood complexes.\n"It's what I like to call big city amenities in a small town setting," said Jim Murphy, president of CFC, Inc., the developer of The Kirkwood.\n"This era is an exciting time for Bloomington because of a long-time struggle to get people living downtown," Murphy said.\nAll three of the projects, within a 15-minute walk of the Sample Gates, offer apartments with cable and high-speed Internet connections, secure living and major appliances including a washer and dryer. Smallwood offers two-, three- and four-bedroom apartments with common laundry facilities for the two-bedroom units. The Mercury and Kirkwood have one-, two- and three-bedroom units. Each of the residential communities offers a unique and different living experience.

The Smallwood Plaza\nFrom the ruins of the old ST Semicon site on College Avenue between Seventh and Ninth Streets, two cranes erect the largest downtown residential facility. According to company information, the Smallwood Complex is a $42 million development of 223 apartments with many three- and four-bedroom units.\nThe company is hoping to attract a large student population looking for "sophisticated city living." The units offer some unique features like ceiling fans, free cable TV and hotel-type wall safes.\n"We want them to say 'Wow' at what they can get for a truly affordable price," said John Jacobs, a managing member of the Smallwood Plaza LLC. He went on to describe a downtown urban living experience that is different than what has been offered in Bloomington.\n"Smallwood is the right vision, and not a gamble for a tenant base" Jacobs said. "It's a niche not being filled." Marketing studies show the housing market and population in Bloomington has increased over the last 10 years, he explained.\nAlso, Jacobs said. the management group "wants local business tenants that support the local economy." The downtown location and demographics will be attractive for retail/commercial tenants. \nThe complex has more than 27,000 square feet of retail/commercial space on the first floor of the main building and two smaller buildings -- the Smallwood Annex and the historically-renovated Smallwood Pike. \n"Indiana University makes Bloomington almost recession-proof," Jacobs said. He is very optimistic about all of the developments in the area.\nAbout half of the parking is on-site with 50 spaces dedicated to the commercial tenants. Another 140 spaces are next door at the Register and 100 spaces are in the Seventh and Walnut parking garage.\nA leasing site will open between Nick's English Hut and Jiffy Treet in the former Hazel's Camera Center by late fall. The pricing is not finalized yet but is being "value engineered," Jacobs said. "We expect people to be shocked at how much they can get for our price points."

The Mercury at Register Place\nThe Mercury at Register Place will be a 76-unit studio apartment building south of Smallwood on College Avenue, between Sixth and Seventh Streets. One fixed crane delivers the materials to workers that are also building a 552-space parking deck, a 100-room hotel and 13,000 square feet of retail/commercial space. Lease prices at the Mercury complex start at $700.\nAll the residential and commercial development will "wake up the downtown," said David Ferguson of Olympus Properties. "It's the frosting on the cake for the area. They won't roll up the sidewalks at 5 o'clock anymore."\nThe Mercury should attract a "great mix of students, young professionals and corporate clients," Ferguson said. More than half of the units are booked and the others are expected to be leased very quickly."\nThe project has experienced some delays, but the first tenants should occupy the property by the end of September and all of the residential units should be complete by the end of this year.\nThe economics are dynamic and people don't want to live in a "run-down dumpy house," Ferguson said.\nIt's about "excitement and fun to have more of everything" in an area where people work, do business and govern "but there was not much living," he said. "It's the neatest thing."

The Kirkwood\nA red crooked-neck crane raises The Kirkwood just west of the railroad tracks at 315 W. Kirkwood on the old Mace's Supermarket. The site is bordered by Madison and Fourth Streets. According to the CFC, Inc. brochure, the 59-apartment development seeks to attract "urban living to a small town setting." \nArtist's renderings show that the all-residential complex features an eight-tower design across two buildings. The exterior is accented with limestone molding that makes it the most architecturally significant of the three developments.\n"Each unit has tall ceilings, large windows and at least one balcony with French doors to provide an attractive openness to the complex." Murphy said. "Some of the units will have fireplaces."\nRetirees, empty nesters, professionals and students should make for a diverse group of people living in The Kirkwood," he said.\n"There will be a great view from the top of the building," said Murphy, as he pointed out that the building includes a rooftop sun deck complete with open-air showers. \nA townhouse design was used for eight of the units, and half of them feature a retro-loft design with exposed brick interiors and stainless steel appliances. A fitness center, on-floor trash chutes and a parking garage are part of the complex.\n"Historically, parking was abundant when the retail stores moved from downtown to the mall but lately perceptions about parking have been the biggest problem," he said. "People don't hesitate to park and walk in a big city, but in a small town people expect to drive right up to their location."\nAlong with the other properties being developed, "existing and new businesses will have opportunities which will bring more employment to the downtown area," Murphy said.\nReservations for The Kirkwood are strong, and Murphy is very optimistic about all the development. A leasing office complete with a model of the amenities will open at the CFC Showers Building office within the next two weeks. Prices were not yet finalized, Murphy said.\n-- Contact staff writer Gary Guffey at gguffey@indiana.edu.