It's not too early to search

With weak economy, internships and contacts essential to finding work

As many college students begin to ponder their future jobs and careers this semester, good news might not be waiting for them. With rising unemployment and low optimism, a difficult path lies ahead for job hopefuls.\nThe Boston Globe reported that the U.S. economy shed 101,000 jobs in December and experienced its biggest monthly decline in employment in nearly a year, though the jobless rate was steady at 6 percent. \nWith an uncertain economy ahead, upcoming graduates are beginning to ask themselves what lies in store for them before venturing out into the job market. \nBut some argue that with time, the ailing economy will bounce back. "The economy seems to be recovering, but very slowly," said Sloane Boyd, Interim Director for the Career Development Center. \nWithout a doubt, the economy is being affected by the employment sector. Now is the best time for all students, especially younger students, to begin the tedious process of job searches and take advantage of resources at their fingertips. \n"Students should make the most of the resources like the CDC that are on campus," Boyd said. Boyd also advises allowing time to find a good job. Even in a good economy, it can take three months of effort to land that dream job. During a weak economy, students can expect it to take even longer.\n"It will probably take six months on average to find the right job," Boyd said. \nWell-rounded students who have good grades have less trouble finding jobs. \n"Proficient students, for the most part, do not encounter problems when it comes to obtaining a job," said Andreas Hauskrecht, a visiting professor in Business Economics and Public Policy at the Kelley School of Business. \nGary Manowitz, a second year graduate student in the MBA Accounting Program, started searching for opportunities early. Manowitz began looking for possible companies to work for at the IU Internship Fair his junior year.\n"When I saw a company I liked, I made the contacts, which led to interviews with several firms." Manowitz signed with PriceWaterhouseCoopers in September. \nFor others, achieving their dream can take years. James Moat, a promotional consultant and commercial artist, began Endorse Support Provide Imagery, 1300 N. College Ave., a business focused on displaying messages on posters, T-shirts and banners. After an attempt to work for a company in San Diego several years ago, Moat realized what he needed: independence. Now, happy with his business and remaining positive, Moat is working harder than ever. \n"Where I am at is priceless," Moat said.\nIt is never too early to begin your search. Walk-in appointments at the Career Development Center are available. Making contacts early will prove to be beneficial in the long run. Try to acquire an internship during the summer or part-time. This could possibly lead to a full-time job in the future, or at the very least, be a great asset to any resume.