Demand just doesn't exist

Downtown camera shop unable to keep client-base, shutting down after 70 years

One of Kirkwood Avenue's oldest businesses plans to close within the next two months.\nHazel's Camera Center has sat at 425 E. Kirkwood Ave. for 70 years but declining sales will force Russell and Marjorie Shaw to shut down the store they've owned for 14 years.\n"Competition from chain stores makes it mighty hard for small stores to exist," Russell Shaw said.\nThe small shop, which sells various types of photo equipment and accessories is stocked to the brim with merchandise and the Shaw's are doing all they can to liquidate.\n"We're trying to sell our inventory at discount," Shaw said. "We're reluctant to give in to pressures, but it is out of our control. There's not enough volume to meet our expenses, let alone make a profit." \nSeveral small businesses have expressed interest in taking over the property once Hazel's is gone.\n"Three or four different companies are trying to rent it, but it won't be a camera shop," Shaw said. \nHazel's is just one of many local small businesses that has been forced to close its operations, said Bloomington Chamber of Commerce President Steve Howard.\n"It is hard work running a small business," Howard said. "Most people don't realize the hard work that comes with operating a small business. There are struggles to make payroll, and workers often work long hours but don't get a lot of pay."\nIn addition, local laws were not made to support small businesses, Howard said.\n"Laws in Bloomington are making it even harder for small businesses to thrive," he said. "Laws like the sign ordinance, which concerns having signs on the streets, didn't have small businesses in mind," Howard said.\nIn order to be a successful small business owner, a good idea, a little research and the right resources can go a long way, said Priya Pai, a representative for the Small Business Development Center.\n"Our center offers counseling to both current small business owners and people who are interested in starting one," Pai said. "We hold seminars on how to get started, how to get loans, and how to keep your business running."\nBut Marjorie Shaw believes the toughest impediment to running a small business is not getting started, but finding customers.\n"The problem with owning and operating a small business in Bloomington isn't managing it. It is getting business," Marjorie said. "If the city, county, schools, and even just locals gave their business to small area businesses instead of large chain stores there wouldn't be a problem."\nShe noticed a decline in business after the city made major construction on Kirkwood Ave. last summer.\n"When they tore up the street most of the customers went elsewhere. Once people start buying at other places it's hard to get them back," she said. "That's why we really don't have any loyal customers who only shop here for their photo needs. We'll get the occasional customer here and there"