The Music Issue

Feb 22, 2010 10:25 pm

Phenom's top 5 most-played songs

Rebey usually doesn’t take requests, but he does have a few of his own favorites. His playlist depends on the crowd’s mood, he says.

He plays a monthly show at The Bishop, throws his own parties, and has nearly 1,000 fans on Facebook. Senior Colin Rebey, also known as Phenom, has taken his music to the next level.

Mar 7, 2010 6:30 pm

Addicted to Music?

Inside interviews the student who fought drug abuse by bringing State Radio to Bloomington.

Feb 22, 2010 10:43 pm

Hear, here

The clock tower tolls the time and cell phones hum. You don’t have to be an artist to hear the sounds of campus. Here’s how to find harmony in the background noise.

Feb 22, 2010 10:32 pm

Five steps to fame

The path of a rockstar can be, well, rocky. A few local bands smooth the way for us.

Feb 23, 2010 12:07 am

Pause with the founder of Pandora

Inside called Tim Westergren, founder and chief strategist of Pandora online radio. The Stanford alumnus immediately identified IU for its music school. Thank you.

The details of how Christopher Raphael’s “Music Plus One” project works include plenty of computer and math jargon like “Gaussian random variables.” Here’s what the project can do for you, the musician.

Feb 22, 2010 11:37 pm

Get a room

After students compete for a spot at the Jacobs School of Music and before they compete in festivals around the country, students compete to find an empty practice space. We picked one – room 228 in the Music Annex – and sat outside for 12 hours to see what played out. This is the place where whimsical clarinet, energetic violin, and lyrical arias sweep through the halls. This is also the place where students consider their futures and practice for auditions that will define their careers. About 1,600 students share only 168 practice rooms at the music school. They all wish they could just get a room.

As far as study spots go, the South Lounge in the Indiana Memorial Union is ideal. With a room full of couches, a Starbucks caffeine fix just steps away, and a usually quiet atmosphere, homework is a cozy chore.

Feb 22, 2010 11:21 pm

Pressure valve

Brady Short keeps a spotless car and an untarnished reputation. Tonight, he's looking for a clean win.